In line with Dubai Municipality vision of applying the best practices on monitoring and managing the Dubai coastline, the Coastal Zone and Waterways Management Section (CWMS) of the Dubai Municipality has been running a coastal monitoring program since 2002 and building a comprehensive database used in numerous coastal engineering applications.
The real-time monitoring network covers the whole Dubai Coastal Zone from Jebel Ali to Al-Mamzar in addition to stations in Dubai Creek and Dubai Water Canal.
The main objectives of the monitoring program are to:
- Develop a sound understanding of the coastal physical processes.
- Identify areas at risk of erosion or accretion.
- Assess the impacts of coastal and offshore developments on Dubai coastal zone.
- Improve the calibration and verification of the numerical models used as planning tools.
- Establish a web-based operational real-time monitoring system.
- Contribute to the decision making process.
- Provide the developers, consultants as well as the general public with data at different levels of complexity.